Thursday, May 28, 2009

Pictures of Invitation Packet

A breakdown of the Peace Corps invitation packet:

Front
Back
Behold! The lovely organized file folders! Also included: a handbook for us, a book about adjusting, and a book for our parents.
Here are the full contents spread out.  This is what we are to bring when we go to staging.  It will help us keep up with all the shots we've gotten (to avoid double vaccinations), our prescriptions, along with tax forms and other legal documentations.  The set up of this packet makes me so happy, it helps bring order to a chaotic time. 

On another note... we've moved out of our little apartment downtown.  I already miss the ability to ride my bike to school or walk anywhere I want to go.  As we unloaded our belongings into my parents garage, Greg helped me come to grips with getting rid of almost all of our 'stuff'.  I, for some reason, had assumed we would keep most of our stuff for when we got back.  But, the point of doing this is to help people less fortunate than ourselves and to begin to lead simpler lives with less worldly possessions.  A big benefit to our service is that we can live for an extended amount of time with only what we NEED.  When we come back we want to continue that.  Since I accepted this I feel like a huge weight is off my shoulders, but at the same time, like I might throw up.  As we take carload after carload to Goodwill I find myself saying...It's just stuff.

Time to go clean out more of the garage.

83 more days until Belize!

for some more info on Belize.


5 comments:

  1. Unkle Runkle is so freaking proud of you! Remember that things are not important, all replaceable, and dont matter in the grand scheme of things! Keep up the good work and keep fighting the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That invitation packet looks quite familar. I have one myself! I'm so excited to be going to Belize in August and was happy to find your blog. I can't believe your going to Europe this summer, what an exciting adventure before your Peace Corps service. I'm nervous for my trip to Colorado in July, thinking it will be too much, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure where staging will be. I haven't received any information from Peace Corps since March and wasn't expecting any until July. Have you? My guess is Miami though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so so proud of you for giving up all your stuff! I really want to do something similiar before me and Brandon move in together. Not for reasons as lofty as yours, but just because I can't CLEAN all this STUFF! And I do not NEED all this STUFF! Thanks for being such an inspiring big sister. I copied your interests in veganism and running, and now you are making minimalism look like another good challenge. PS..... thanks for all the clothes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Extremely proud of you.... You two are amazing, amazing people and I'm fortunate to know you...

    Good luck and lemme know if you ever need anything... I can always UPS something :)

    Love you guys, Mama J

    ReplyDelete