Friday, March 4, 2011

Bell's Palsy: Grounded in the City


Day 3
After getting ready for school I looked in the mirror and saw this (see above). After a frightening call to the Peace Corps nurse and some comfort and hugs from Ms. Delphine we rushed off on the next bus to get to the city and see some doctors. We took the 6 hour bus ride to Belmopan mostly in silence, the only conversation being Greg comforting me and reassuring me that it was going to be okay. We were met in Belmopan by the Peace Corps nurse and her assistant and they drove us to Belize City straight to the neurologist and then the ENT doctor. My ear infection was still 'pretty bad' even after a week of antibiotics, I was still completely deaf in that ear at the time. Diagnosis: the very bad inner ear infection spread to my T7 facial nerve causing paralysis, oh and too boot the hearing loss might be from damage to the T8 nerve and might be permanent. What a Monday.
Emily assisting with my eye patch
After putting me on a slew of drugs I was grounded for observation in Belize city. My face got worse, slurring words, being a human sprinkler when attempting to drink from a straw. Oh and I couldn't wiggle that ear or taste on that side of my tongue. Peace Corps Washington got involved. Medicines were checked, more tests ordered, grounding extended.
Keeping a happy face

Finally after a week and a half punishment we were released after several more doctor appointments and lots of Peace Corps paper work. We finally got to go home and came in Thursday night. We noticed the sweet fresh smell of the jungle (as opposed to the rancid, open sewers of Belize City) they grated the road while we were gone. When we got to the house everyone was there waiting for us. Mrs. Cecilia teared up and they all wanted to see my smile and reassured me it wasn't so bad. Cecilia cried over me a lot while I was gone, I got gut wrenching texts from Ofelia and Amy telling me how she cries for me. I stopped in at school on Friday and turns out the whole school had been praying and saying Hail Mary's for me. They also made me a multi page butterfly 'get well' card that the whole school signed. It was good to be back.

Update: Face is coming along, I don't have to sleep with a eye patch anymore, and Greg found some exercises that seem to be helping with my embarrassing sprinkler problem. Lots of villagers have worriedly expressed concern about me going to the creek so early. They believe if no one has passed yet bad spirits can lurk there. To soothe them I now wait until at least 6:30 to wash.

During our 10 day grounding we were able to watch the big La Ruta Maya race on the TV and went to the finish in the City! There were three Peace Corps teams participating (each with a support crew) and also the HIV/AIDS committee following doing outreach each day of the race.

La Ruta Maya 2011
A 170 mile canoe race through the Macal and Belize Rivers
The crowds


Meet the three Peace Corps teams!
Mixed Team 1: Mallory, Matt and Dan
1st place in the Peace Corps crowd

The all girls team the three with hats: Kathryn, Kaitlyn and Heather
Finished 3rd out of the PCV teams

Mixed Team 2: Christen, Owen and Kevin
Second PCV team!


Heather, a Peace Corps HIV/AIDS committee member doing outreach

1 comment:

  1. Oops! I post my comment for this blog on the blog post for the blog just before this blog!

    ReplyDelete