Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sicily: Alcamo

Walking out to the plane...Never a boring flight with RyanAir

We were so excited about going to Sicily (and the bus to the airport was early in the morning) so we got there 3 hours early. It was still dark as we walked the streets, somewhat dressed up ready to meet the family. We met some other backpackers, John from canada, two Argintenians, and some Californians. The Californians were very funny. One had a mustache and Greg had a long conversation with him on the bus about how unreceptive europians are of the stash. We were both surprised and we agreed it was probably good Greg had the little 'fire incident' before we left. We sat on our bags for an hour before we finally got checked in. We flew Ryan Air again so it was again quite funny. The steward didn't speak italian and it was a flight from Rome to Sicily!

Once we got there we walked out and Greg started thinking everyone was Nino and Enza (it had been 10 years since he'd seen them last). Finally a couple keeps on looking at us and Greg says "Enza?" and they come running over to welcome us. They drive us back to their castle in Alcamo (literally it was a castle built in the 1700s that they refurbished and moved into in January). Enza and Nino speak pretty good english, Enza more-so. So, we were able to communicate fine. Once we arrived we met their three children: Gianluca, Federica, and MariaAngela. We headed out on foot to see the sights of Alcamo. We saw the church that was recently restored. We toured a museum that was the place where Nino went to school. We then checked out the castle of Alcamo. This whole time Gianluca was translating for us and I learned a word that proved very handy chuiso...closed. The best gelato place in alcomo was chuiso, as was the church. But it was fine we had a blast.
Right: a typical tiny street inAlcamo

Left: horse with a pile of salt (art on loan to Alcamo) Right: Awesomeness
Left: Inside the building where Nino went to school Right: A distant relative of Greg?

Apparently Sicilian Puppet Theaters are pretty common...and GREAT! Right: Nino touched all the exhibits in the museum...shhhhh.
Nino, Mariangela and us infront of the castle...and me on a stairway to nowhere
There was an actual puppet theater in the castle


We got back and I met their Grandmother Gina(81 years young) who proceeded to have an entire conversation with us in Italian using lots of very annimated hand gestures while Gianluca and his sisters laughed and repeated 'no capish'. They asked if I was Italian and took the disapointment well when I explained that I was Irish. We had a little tour of the house and the garden. They had lemon trees, kumquat, oranges, and a grapefruit like fruit. Back to the kitchen for some cafe and tapas as Gina fried eggplant. Then more relatives started pouring in for lunch. Enza's sister Giovanna and her husband Andrea and 2 of their children (Antonio and Marianna). This is where the never ending, most delicious food I have ever had, began. I had the best lasagna ever, fried melanzana (eggplant), fresh olives, cheese and so much more. Giovanna came after we started lunch, she works at a bank and couldn't get off earlier. She strolls in with gelato in a bun and saunters around to greet everyone on her own time. She also tries to speak some english. I automatically like her! Meanwhile Gianluca is warning us how she is crazy...I like this family!!
Gianluca and his mother Enza in the kitchen
Mariangela and Frederica and their father Nino.
Greg in the entranceway, the bathroom...this picture does not do it justice (there was a beautiful stand-alone tub also!)
Library with a rolly latter!
Other side.
Basement like area, the steps lead out to the garden.
Back of the house from the garden
First Kumquat...I love them now!
Patio and garden
All the trees are different kinds of fruit!
In the kitchen
Deserts for lunch from our trip around Alcamo


After lunch it is decided that we will go to the beach house. They give us choices and then ask 'which do you prefer?' Andrea takes us the two youngest girls, Mariangela and Marianna, and us to Alcamo Marina (a small beach town about 10 minutes away) Where we quickly fall asleep after some quick pictures from our balcony.




4 comments:

  1. Nice! Kevina, I like your dress. The family looks so handsome and proper! I love the puppets and the picture of the dragon slaying. Did you guys have a good fourth? I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss my little sister terribly!!! We ended up not doing anything for the forth...we were really sad and depressed because that was the day we left Sicily. I love that family! I will post again and I am going to try to post a video of Giovanna and Gina (the grandmother) trying to talk to us! I love you and miss you! How was your 4th?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I understand...I had a great fourth, you should check out facebook (or livejournal) to look at my cake and pants! I miss you very much too! I want to spend as much time as possible with you after you come home and before you go to belize. when exactly do you get back from europe by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. July 12th into NJ. I will call you then...I am thinking of going through Charlotte on the way back then perhaps you could come back with me? I don't know how long your summer school is....I miss you too!

    ReplyDelete