Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sicily: Aunt Anna and Goodbye for now Sicily :(

After a relaxing morning at the beach with Mariangela we were going to go to Aunt Anna's. Since there were so many people we needed to take two cars. One of which being a 1968 (+/- a few years) cinque cente (pronounced chink-kwa chen-tay, meaning 500) Fiat. We of course chose this and they even let Greg drive it!!! So Gianluca, Greg and I piled into the tiny Fiat and headed off. What an experience, it was like playing in those cars where you use your feet to move when you're little! Greg said driving in the streets of Alcamo was like video game, just add mario cart music and you pretty much have it! We made it to the castle and then all walked together to meet Anna.
Federica giving pointers and heading out to Alcamo in the Fiat
We survived!

We went to see the house where Greg's Grandmother (on his mother's side) was born. This is now Aunt Anna's house. She was so welcoming, imediately handed us lemon ice and beautiful gifts. Then we got a tour of the house. There were no bedrooms just a bedroom nook, where Greg's grandmother was actually born. Then there is a ladder to go to the loft. This is where food and wood would be stored for the winter. This is also where they would do laundry and hang it to dry out of the window. This was pretty much my favorite part! Aunt Anna just climbed right up to show me around, and she was super scared that we would fall coming down even though she does this alone all the time. We also had a video-conference with Greg's parents and Kristen and Justin! Poor Kristen has been sick. I hope she gets better soon!

The nook and house that Nonna Anna was born in.
More relatives and Nonna Gina talking to Nanette and Al.

Coming down from the storage loft

For our last dinner AnnaMarie and Fabio came also. We then skyped Greg's parents and I wish you could have seen how loud and hilarious this event was! A running joke this entire trip has been 'facha-book' and other Giovanna-isms from her attemtps to speak english. She'll point to Greg and say 'imata!' or imitate. At this point Greg would compile a sentence of her most used words:
"Tomar-ja we go shoaping" and "on Facha-book" "skoala" which mean, tomrrow we go shopping, on facebook, and school. We were all laughing so hard!
Kisses for Nonna Gina
LOOK how many peole were trying to talk!!
The picture that made Nino a believer! After I showed this picture to them Nino ran inside and came out with pen and paper and proceeded to write down the camera make/model/and lense!
Figuring out Greg's magic tricks.
Group photo!
Back row: Andrea, Nino, Giovanna, Enza, Gina, Fabio, Anna Maria
Front Row: Greg, me, Antonio, Mariangela, Gianluca, Federica *not pictured...Marianna

We went out to get icecream with Giovanna and I had her favorite (gelato in a bun). I got to use one of my 10 Italian words I laerned... I asked the man for a cucchiaino (tiny spoon). I was quite proud of myself. That night we stayed up until 5 in the morning playing American card games (they taught us two Sicilian card games the first night we were there). My face was sore the next day from laughing so hard!!




The next morning was really hard getting up...we were supposed to have breakfast all together (with Giovanna, Gina, Marianna, Antonio, Mariangela, and Gianluca) at 9:00 but it took a while to get all of us up. Our alarm went off for an hour! We went out for desert/granata (Italian ice). Then we had the most delicious last meal!!!!!!!!! We had homemade pesto pasta, fried melanzana, and fresh fruit (peaches, plums, and watermellon). Then out came the deserts! We had an almond dish (with a frozen milky custard like situation) which was then drizzled with warm pistachio butter (yes pistachio butter, it does exist and I for one am a better person because of it!!!), followed by lemon ice, and then gelato. The perfect ending to a perfect vacation with family!

Can you tell we're tired?
Greg and I in our traditional garb with even more relatives! Greg saying bye to Neronna (sp).

Do we pull it off?

Then came the goodbyes. We had a REALLY rough time with this. First antonio gave us traditional Italian items, the cards, hat, and scarf. Then we all got matching friendship bracelets and gifts upon gifts. After we all had our bracelets on I wanted to take a bracelet power picture, after which I said "super duper!" They repeated "soopa dewper, che cosa?" I did a bad job trying to explain the meaning of super duper and then as I was saying goodbye to someone I heard Marianna repeat it to herself! :) Then they all lined up on the porch and we said our final goodbyes. Nino, Enza and Giovanna drove us to the airport. It was a somber drive. Once at the airport they waited with us until we had to go through security. Then the tears started. I truly enjoyed every second of my time with these wonderful people. Once through security we gave our final waves and boarded the plane. It was a sad,
quite flight. It was also the 4th of july but America was the last thing I was thinking about. WE MISS SICILY! :(
Friendship bracelet power!!
Bye bye for now...

3 comments:

  1. -Awww, I almost teared up reading this! Let baby sister come along next time!!
    -That is officially the smallest car I've ever seen!
    -The videoconferences look ridiculous! I'm sure everyone there was talking at ONCE, too!
    -Your hair looks very pretty in the picture of you taking a picture with Aunt Anna
    -Very nice traditional garb! You look very authentic, although I think Kevina your hair needs to be much larger.
    -I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevina, I believe your true talent lies in writing. You bring such life to each new experience you and Greg share that I feel I am right there with you! What wonderful times for you both - Salute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Vicki! I am so glad you feel as if you're there too! Hopefully it will be the same while I am in Belize! Say hi to everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete