Tuesday, August 11, 2009

ONE WEEK!

Okay...
Today marks one week until our lives change forever. This marks our last week as American residents. Our last week with an abundance of internet, friends mere minutes away, air conditioning, and sweet tea. One more week with only familiar bugs of manageable sizes. One more week of goodbyes before an abundance of hellos. Everyone asks what we're feeling...I think I am feeling...everything. Plug in an emotion and it is in my brain somewhere. But, the emotion that is strongest seems to be anticipation. I HATE anticipation. I was the kid that would tear the house apart climbing in every nook and hiding spot to find my Christmas presents early. This is the highest dose of anticipation my body can handle. I am convinced a single drop more would be fatal. Not to mention my future nephew is in the process of being born and is also making us all wait with baited breath while he takes his sweet time. Kristen has been in labor for almost 24 hours!

The second question we get: 'So are you all packed up?'
AHHHHHHHHHH!! We have had this growing mound of 'Peace Corps Stuff' since we got our invitation a year ago. The process of choosing what I can and can not live with for two years is weird. You find yourself answering questions most people never ask themselves. Can I live without flying a kite for two years? The answer is of course, no, and thus we now have a small, packable, stick-less kite with us:) Anyway, here are some pictures of our madness.


One thing that I loved packing was my first aid kit! I am bringing my blood pressure cuff, stethoscope, gloves, tons of Benadryl, tons of Pepto, and a little bit of everything else. I hope it suffices.




This weekend is our going away party. Because of our traveling we have already become well practiced goodbye sayers. However, this weekend is going to be tough. I don't like to cry but the likelihood is high. I will miss my little baby sister and my fresh nephew (Hunter Gregory Calcaterra) the most. If it wasn't for skype I don't know if I could do it. I am now emotion number 3 on the top five greatest hits: sad. This was supposed to be a funny post...um...so...

Q:Why don't ant eaters get sick?
A:Because they're filled with little antibodies!

One more week. One more week. One more week.

That is assuming I don't die from anticipation of course.

2 comments:

  1. Kevina, I will be glad to send medical care supplies if you run out. Just let me know: lakeluvr@gmail.com

    Best of luck in this wonderful experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevina, what a well written wonderful goodbye post! I remember how difficult it was to hide your presents from you as a little child (dad here) - I also loved you quotes, both the opening ones and the one dedicated to your sister Kaylyssa - Man you guys are living a life filled with - well, Life. I also enjoyed the ant - eater joke! LOL Stay safe, have fun, make a difference - Love Dad Give Greg a hug too.

    ReplyDelete