Saturday, May 22, 2010

Cacao Fest: What is the Meaning of Life? All Evidence to Date Suggest it's Chocolate. -Anonymous

Toledo hosts this wonderful celebration of all things cacao called, appropriately: Cacao Fest. Christine managed to get around 12 or so Peace Corps Volunteers to well...volunteer Friday and Saturday. There was a potential for a west side story dance off between all the volunteers in the Ketchi Po'ots (shirts) and the tiny Maya women in their mopan shirts. We were each huddled in our own semi-circles, eyeing each other. The evening was winding down and the flute man was playing the theme to titanic...I was hoping we would unleash our sweet moves, and either school or get schooled but alas I had to go back to work. It was a wine and cheese fest on the roof of UB (University of Belize). The only beverage available to drink was wine until around 9:20. We were paid in chocolate.


Sunday was an all day fest at Lubaantun. The chunk of cleared jungle intended for a parking lot at the entrance was just a huge mud puddle. The rain held off and people packed onto the ruins to enjoy the Monkey dance and a performance by the 3 kings. The Monkey dance depicted both max (spider monkeys) and batz (howler monkeys). I decided that day that Morpheus' new nick name is batz, the family agreed. The American Ambassador was there along with a British couple honeymooning who loved the 75 euro cent beers.



Did I mention it is the rainy season?

I finally got my Maya ear rings. EVERYONE comments. The standard six boys say, "Miss you fashion." Mrs. Cecilia has told me I am beautiful now every morning since and Tanisha told me, "Kevina your kind now. You know like...Indian. The Indian kind." A mopan woman and I had a little ketchi conversation and then I got to shake the hand of her grandbaby Kevin...who was 2 months.

There was a free fair in the park on Saturday. There was a lady, I will not name names or organizations but she did say...in the blistering heat, "If you're helping, you should be standing." I worked the rock painting station. Children had to sign their name then they were given 5 cacao beans to go 'spend' on face painting, story telling, puppet making, etc.
Cacao:
An evergreen tropical American tree (Theobroma cacao) having leathery, ellipsoid, ten-ribbed fruits borne on the trunks and older branches. Also called chocolate tree.
The seed of this plant, used in making chocolate, cocoa, and cocoa butter. Also called cacao bean, cocoa bean.


Cacao Uk...for 50 cents.

Water cooler cups of chocolate...good pay for a good day's work.

http://www.toledochocolate.com/



2 comments:

  1. Any chances of Momma Hughes getting a pair of Maya ear rings. Those are really beautiful! Learned alot about cacao. I think I'm ready for the test and membership into undying loyalty to chocolate forever! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, let me tell you this: You and Greg look like flipping models! And you look happier than I have ever seen you. Second- the Chocolate god is a minor deity - The true god is the god of Glaze Doughnuts! I did love the pictures and it is amazing that they have a dance for both kinds of monkeys. Are their behaviors that different? The picture of the flooded road- with a house in it...man, rainy season indeed! That little kid leaning against the Mayan Ruins, looks like a professional took it. All of them were good. I just love your blog, and you two too! Dad Hughes

    ReplyDelete