Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lao li Piis Kor

Intro to Site
Last Sunday we had our 'Intro to site' community meeting. Even though we have been in 'site' for a little over two months...Peace Corps still thought I'd be a good idea (and it was). We'd had some shuffling around to do because of Es's passing. Also, I have been working with the alcalde, my principal, and the PTA on getting our library to become an official community library through the Belize National Library Service. After pulling some strings, and some great work from the BNLS they were able to come to the community meeting also! There has been lots of interest in this, with four people submitting their names for the one potential librarian position.

The day before our meeting I washed clothes for 7 hours from 6am until 1. I washed in buckets then I washed at the creek, and finished up with some more washing in buckets. I was extremely proud of myself. When I went to the creek the place was packed. Lynette had to make me a new washing stone (she found a large flat rock, wedged it on top of some other rocks (using small ones to make it sturdy). I also cleaned the latrine, and helped re-spackle the firehearth. They just take ashes from the fire-hearth, some dirt, mix it with water and there you have it...spackle! It was fun and messy. Meanwhile Greg was next door helping to build our neighbors second story to their house (they just take off the roof and add on). So I was feeling pretty good about myself when I woke up in the morning.

And I thought Greg was scared of heights (he's on the right)

Saturnina making the cement, Cecilia putting on the fresh coat

Our meetings are always on Sunday because that is the day when everyone is in the village. Lots of men work on plantation, or travel to other villages and 'camp' there all week. We had our 2nd ever PTA meeting at 11, which was super productive, and the community meeting started at 1:00. They announce the beginning of the meeting with the blowing of a conch. I was so nervous and especially so because everyone came! Ginnie our Tech Trainer did a short piece on what Peace Corps is and the history of PC in Belize. Then I presented on what I am doing in the school, then Greg and I presented on us, our family, Wilmington, and our hobbies. All of which had accompanying pictures. I was really surprised how well this went, we actually ran out of Peace Corps pamphlets and I got some great questions from the audience. After our piece the BNLS presented and we scooted off with Ginnie to get to Belmopan for our AVC (All Volunteer Conference) which I will post shortly...


The Chairman on the far left and the Alcalde next to him.

My principal talking about what I do in the school.

3 comments:

  1. Blowing a conche? Thats awesome. p.s. based on this book list, greg needs to get his act together and catch up. Far too many K's and not enough G's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make spackle! Man, if I'd only known how when I was a kid, my rock forts would have been awesome! Of course, I would have burned alot of twigs and that probably would have started the whole of 100 acres where we lived on fire!
    Daddy and I loved your post! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevina and Greg,
    Dad Hughes here; man you both are working so hard- and making a difference. Greg, you couldn't get me to stand that far off the ground - plus, I can't use tools! Great job! Kevina, you look so professional giving your presentation. Mom and I both got teary eyed - we miss you so much. We believe in what you are doing- and are so very proud of both of you! Love Dad xxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete